28 February 2018
Work to begin on new Frankston Station
Work on the new Frankston Station began this month, with construction to get underway by the middle of the year.
The works – to be carried out by an alliance led by John Holland and KBR – are part of the Victorian government’s $63 million program to redevelop the Frankston station precinct, which acts as the terminus of, and interchange between, the Frankston and Stony Point railway lines, in Melbourne’s south.
Genton Architecture’s station design was selected from 39 competitors last year. It has since been refined and is to include a very contemporary canopy and station buildings, with upgrades to the entrance and subway access.
Station platforms will be raised to reduce the gap between the train and the platform, while new new public plazas and walkways are to be constructed.
“This new station will be bigger and better than before. It will be a community centre Frankston can be proud of,” state transport minister Jacinta Allan said.
Federal member for Frankston, Paul Edbrooke, said that the new station was long overdue.
“Our community is so excited for this new station,” Edbrooke said. “For too long Frankston has been neglected – we’re righting that wrong with this new station, which will create a more accessible, inviting area to live, work and visit.
“It will be a true gateway to the peninsula and a place our community can be proud of – something we’ve been looking forward to for over 40 years.”
The project is being overseen by the Level Crossing Removal Authority, who will co-ordinate work with Skye/Overton Road level crossing removal project to minimise disruption.
Utility service relocation and technical surveys begin this month and will be followed in the middle of the year by major construction works and a temporary station closure. During the demolition and reconstruction phase, buses will replace trains along the line.
You might also be interested in some of our other courses:
Some Useful Links
- Information on Rail Industry Workers Program
- Search for authorised health professionals throughout Australia
- Video Tutorials provided by ARA
- Chatswood-City services bolstered ahead of Sydney Metro opening
- Work to begin on new Frankston Station
- Melbourne’s Metro Tunnel to be finished a year early
- Sydney’s transformation to a modern light rail network
- Rio’s first unmanned train completes pilot test
- Construction worker wins $1.9M in compensation for back-breaking fall at Nishi work site
- View from the V-Line: Reliability Ramp-Up
- Carrum Ups & Downs: Refreshing the South
- Murray Basin Melee: Heavier, Faster, Stronger
- Regional Rewards: Victoria’s State of Infrastructure