Do you need a Rail Industry Workers Card?

To work in or around the Rail Corridor in Victoria, most individuals will be required to hold a Rail Industry Worker Card (RIWC).

If you are planning on working in the rail industry and need a RIWC, we recommend completing the following:

• Category 3 Rail Medical (for non-safety critical work)
• White Card (Construction/Induction Card)
• Metro Train Track Safety Awareness
• SWIRC – Safely Work in the Rail Corridor Course

We can assist you with your RIWC in 1 day, this is how the day works:

• 7-9am: The medical team at Aakira Medical Services complete Category 3 Rail Medicals
• 7-9am: Training Ahead Australia assists with organising your RIWC, from start to finish
• 9am-5pm: Metro Train Track Safety Awareness Course runs

We have laptops available downstairs to book in your SWIRC Course.

1 Day Turnaround for your Category 3 Medical, TTSA and RIWC!

What we can help you with:

Metro Train Track Safety Awareness Course

Anyone working on the Metro Network and Within a Victorian rail corridor is required to complete the Metro Train Track Safety Awareness Course

Click here for full course information on the Metro TTSA

Category 3 Rail Medical

To work in the Danger Zone, you will require a minimum Category 3 Rail Medical.

If you want to do Safeworking, operate TVO vehicles, we reccomend getting a Category 1 Rail Medical instead. If you are unsure what level of medical you require, give the team a call and they can explain the differences.

Click here for more information on Category 3 Rail Medicals

Rail Industry Worker Card

Rail Industry Worker is a national competency management system for rail workers. TAA can assist setting up your RIWC to ensure rail readiness and compliance is met.

You will also need to book the following:

• Safely Work in the Rail Corridor (SWIRC)

You can book this 1 day course through the Metro
Academy at

If you are working on the V/Line or ARTC
Network, you will also require:

• V/Line and ARTC Induction

Before commencing works on the V/Line or
ARTC network, the Contractor Inductions must be
uploaded to your RIWC.

Please Note: Before working on Australia’s rail network, it is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct job roles and competencies. Obtaining a RIWC does not mean you are automatically approved to go onsite. Please confirm with your
employer for all requirements necessary before commencing work.

Click here to download our flyer

Commonly Asked Questions

No, you need to wait for your certificates (competencies) and medicals to be uploaded and your job roles are green and valid. This is the responsibility of your Employer Administrator.
They will be uploaded within 2 business days of us receiving them, however you will still need to wait until they are verified by RIW.
We recommend allowing for 3-5 business days to be approved, pending there are no issues with the upload.
If you have any other tickets, you can talk to your employer about uploading them as they are job specific.
We only upload the following:
  • MTM – Operator or V/Line - Operator (depending on your request)
  • Around the Track Personnel (Construction) – If a White Card/Construction card is provided on the day;
  • or Around the Track Personnel (Non-Construction) – If no White Card/Construction card is provided on the day
No, you will require a primary employer before starting work. If your card is swiped while you have no employer, your certificates will not show.
Phone: 1300 101 682 Email:

RIW has a number of fantastic support articles and videos to help guide employers and individuals through using the Rail Industry Worker Card System.

Go to: to find out more.

You can also subscribe to RIW to stay up to date

RIW have an article stepping you through the process of registering your company with RIW.
Click here to view the article
At a minimum, you will require the following to enter the rail corridor:
  • A valid Rail Industry Workers Card
  • White Card/Construction Card or the CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry Statement of Attainment
  • An approved Rail Medical: Category 1, 2 or 3 (this will be dependent on the job role you are performing)
  • Safely Access the Rail Corridor (TLIF2080)
  • Any Rail Network Operator specific inductions
Each Network Operator have specific competency and job role requirements, you are required to ensure you have the correct job roles prior to entering site. Click here to go to RIW Network Matrix
Once your Rail Industry Worker Card has been ordered, we recommend allowing 14 days for the card to arrive.
While you are waiting for your Rail Industry Workers Card, you can use your virtual card.
Click here for more information 
We do our best to provide general guidance on the requirements within the Victorian rail industry however you are ultimately responsible to ensure you have the correct job roles.
We recommend you talking to your employer, your client and/or the Network Rail Operator to discuss what you will require.
A number of projects in Victoria require additional inductions to be completed prior to commencing work.
Click here to view the RIW Matrices outlining job role and competency requirements.

For course guides, full course information and pricing please phone 1300 355 900 or visit our courses page

Training Ahead Australia is approved to deliver the Metro Train Track Safety Awareness
Training Ahead Australia RTO Code: 45462

Training Ahead Australia - Rail Training (RTO 45462)