29 November 2016
Upgrade of Ballarat Line
|Location||Melbourne’s outer west through to Ballarat|
|Project Manager||Evan Tattersall|
|Project Owner||Melbourne Metro Rail Authority|
|Jobs Created||To be advised beyond 2016|
|Timeframe||Begins 2017, Expected finish 2019|
|How to Apply||https://jobs.careers.vic.gov.au and https://corporate.vline.com.au/careers|
The amount of people using the Ballarat line to get from Melton into the city has more than doubled in the past ten years. Hence the urgency of this project. With duplication of the line from Deer Park to Melton increasing reliability and timing of the current network. This also creates the possibility for Melton to become electrified in future, thus creating an all new line on the Melbourne Metro.
Along with the duplication of the line, passing loops for trains along the line will be created at Ballan and Spreadeagle, thus allowing trains to run both ways with ease. This also will make many level crossings redundant along the line, and they will thus then be removed.
General station facilities such as carparks and safer pedestrian crossings are also to be upgraded, thus creating ease of access and encouraging more customers to use the trains. Modernisation of these amenities will make using the train and the stations a more pleasant experience for customers.
Extra services along this line will also be enabled thanks to these works. The upgrade will tie in to the greater regional development along Victoria’s V-Line and country rail networks.
Image Source: Railtrails.org.au
- Light rail construction imminent in Sydney suburbs
- Contractors listed for Bendigo upgrade
- 1.8m trips in Mernda line’s first year
- Thales successfully delivers CCS for Sydney Metro
- Coalition to spend $44m on Inland Rail connections
- Gold Coast light rail trips rise again
- Infrastructure Australia joins push for more mega projects
- Rail bridges chosen for pair of crossing removals
- Sydney Metro hits ‘one-millionth journey’ mark
- Over 63km of track removed in first phase of Inland Rail project